It’s hard not to identify with Tammy Pierce, 80′s teen underdog. Every teenager struggles with body odor (their own and others), unrequited lust, and fights with their mom and annoying little brothers. The cruelties of being a teenager are detailed in Unlovable, Tammy’s stories of trying hard to fit in . It’s equal parts awkward, hilarious, and endearing.
Tammy’s enthusiastic confessional comics are told by the talented Esther Pearl Watson. Watson, a prolific artist, grew up in Texas and discovered Tammy Pierce in a diary she found in a gas station bathroom. We asked Watson to give us Tammy’s answers to 12 Questions and she kindly gathered them for us.
1. What is your hometown?
2. With what fictional character do you most identify?
Ziggy (I would like to live in a world where I don’t need to wear pants, underwear or shoes)
3. In the movie of your life, cast an actor to play you.
4. What work of art speaks to your soul?
5. What books are you currently reading or recommending?
Nights with Sasquatch by John Cotter
6. What song or album is currently in heavy rotation on your iPod?
7. What’s the last movie that made you cry?
8. Cat person or dog person?
Today, I guess, I love my dog Bummer more than my cat Pooter. So, today, I’m a dog person.
9. What is more important, truth or kindness?
Kindness, except when you need to tell some moron “Move it! Dog Breath!” then truth would have to be more important… but not if you just took 5$ out of your mom’s purse.
10. How do you define sin?
When my brother Willis craps out the bathroom.
11. How do you define virtue?
I think virtue has a meaty smell and you can totally tell if someone has virtue. If you don’t have that virtue smell, like I don’t, then you can buy it (if you have cash). There’s a perfume by Burger King called Flame. Virtue smells like a flame-broiled Whopper, I guess.
12. Design your headstone: What does it say? What does it look like?
My headstone would be like a Hollywood star. It would say “Under this dirt is the rocking hot bod of Tammy. Don’t stand on my grave or I’ll reach up and grab your ankles!!”