Molly Crabapple is an award winning artist and author. Originally inspired by A Tart’s Progress and Alice in Wonderland, Molly’s art is something of a grand, feathery flourish – a highly stylized, sinister party that you’ve been invited to. But know that you might find your vices exposed there, your proclivities revealed. As you explore her detailed, surrealist work you find the voices in your head dancing with French clown faced temptresses.
Molly is also the founder of Dr. Sketchy’s Anti-Art School. The movement aims to deconstruct the sterility of the art school experience and replace it with revelry. With branches all over the country, Dr. Sketchy’s celebrates with cabaret and live drawing.
In September of 2011, to celebrate her 28th birthday, Molly dove into a project she dubbed “Week in Hell”. Sequestered in a hotel room, Molly covered every wall with paper and adorned them with drawings. Inspired by musicians and muses, she managed to draw 270 feet of art in 5 days for 745 loyal backers of her Kickstarter project.
Molly Crabapple is a force to be reckoned with and there is oh so much more to come.
1. What is your hometown?
New York City
2. With what fictional character do you most identify?
I was always more of a biography girl myself
3. In the movie of your life, cast an actor to play you.
Someone short. Which should be most of Hollywood
4. What work of art speaks to your soul?
smart-aleck 19th century newspaper caricatures
5. What books are you currently reading or recommending?
Explosive Acts: Toulouse Lautrec, Felix Feneon, Oscar Wilde and Art and Anarchy in the Fin de Siecle, Penny Red by Laurie Penny
6. What song or album is currently in heavy rotation on your iPod?
Workers Song: Dropkick Murphys
7. What’s the last movie that made you cry?
Letters from Iwo Jima
8. Cat person or dog person?
9. What is more important, truth or kindness?
10. How do you define sin?
not taking action that you know you need to take
11. How do you define virtue?
12. Design your headstone: What does it say? What does it look like?
not done yet
Bonus Question: Who would you like to see answer these questions?