If there really is a rule that all child actors have to grow up to be spoiled, self-indulgent ass-hats, nobody bothered to tell Amy Sakasitz. After appearing in Dennis The Menace and A Home of Our Own (with Kathy Bates!) and a few other films, Amy took a decade or so off to grow up, travel the world, and have a life. Amy now lives in Virginia with a handsome gentleman who shares her dark and wicked sense of humor, and she sometimes bakes fancy cookies for faraway friends (hint, hint). She took time out from cashing residual checks for German DVD sales of Dennis the Menace to answer 12 Questions.
1. What is your hometown?
2. With what fictional character do you most identify?
This week, its Laura from Neil Gaiman’s ‘American Gods’.
3. In the movie of your life, cast an actor to play you.
I…I honestly have no answer for this. Anyone but Zooey Deschanel, I guess. (I mean, seriously, have you seen ‘Tin Man’?)
4. What work of art speaks to your soul?
A painting of the sea that I inherited from my grandfather. I dont know anything about it. But it’s beautiful. It’s in a hideous old fashioned frame, and it’s huge. The paint is chipping, but that storm tossed sea, with the sun just barely breaking through the clouds, it speaks to me.
5. What books are you currently reading or recommending?
I’m going back right now and reading some classics that I didn’t get to in high school, some deep tracks, as it were.
6. What song or album is currently in heavy rotation on your iPod?
Cake’s ‘Showroom of Compassion’
7. What’s the last movie that made you cry?
‘Away We Go’
8. Cat person or dog person?
Dog person, without a doubt.
9. What is more important, truth or kindness?
I think a balance of the two is essential to any meaningful relationship. Sometimes the truth hurts, and you need some kindness in the mix to soften the blow. Kindness at the expense of truth, though….that never helped anyone.
10. How do you define sin?
I don’t believe in the concept of sin.
11. How do you define virtue?
12. Design your headstone: What does it say? What does it look like?
I wont have one. I’m going to be cremated, and make whoever survives me go on some twisted scavenger hunt/ash scattering world tour to leave a little piece of me in all of my favorite places.